Sunday, April 15, 2007

Ankor Wat? What What Wat Was That?

As I write this email I wonder why I am sitting in the lobby of a hotel in Siam Reap, Cambodia at 415-am typing away like a mad man. I think as you know many of you all love my e-mails, I enjoy writing them , even thou they can and do take a long time for me to concoct. Yet then again perhaps I have far too much time on my hands and therefore you receive all these wonderful long, graphic and fun e-mails!

Well some people can type like a mad man! Ask Malcolm Turnbull, He did a typing course! So did I, thou as usual I never finished it. I never finished my ballet classes either, let alone my cooking competitions. I hated all the Soccer and tennis camps I was sent on! And I know for certain that i never ever finished school properly, let alone Boarding school! God I hated that Woodlawn Compound. The best time of the week was when the canteen opened (once a week mind you) All I wanted was a Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate! You would not think this was something which would be a thing that would be would be unusual now days. Yet i have to say these Catholics ran a tight ship - in more ways than one! I can recall so many borders who would have all their ten cents saved up so they could call their Mum or Dad at the appropriate time, and at the correct place, on the appropriate day of the week! The cue for the public phones where ( lets just say long ) Yet the amazing thing i will never forget is the "Amazing Race" at lunch time ... When the bell would sound for lunch - Unlike most people who had money for lunch - or a packed lunch from Mum - now days for school - at the sound of the lunch bell you have never seen an Olympic qualifying contest in your life. There were always handy caps, many boys would be located in their class rooms right near the Food Line! Even thou I did play the role of "Oliver" it was a food line! And the 1st in was the best fed!

I took off to Cambodia the other month, (as you do around here - it is just like zipping off to the Hampton's, Brighton, Taree, or Queensland - Yet a lot lot less water!) I went with a friend who I met at my Guesthouse, She was a guest and booked for 2 days and stayed for well off and on for 6 weeks! The off weeks we went to Bangkok and then went to Siam Reap to see just one of the wonders of the world (almost carrying a martini in a water bottle each day) It was amazing! I have never seen so many Temples or Wats in My life! Cambodia is an interesting country. Pour even F___ in so many ways. Thou 5 Star hotels here is like paying 10 USD a night (sort of) Sandy and I had a ball. I love to laugh, I love a good argument, I also love to cry, Yet I have not Laughed so much for so long. From ordering food, to tuk tuks ( or rik sures ) It was a ball. A the bundle of crap you had to unravel, yell, or scream to get any thing resolved, thou it was a great experience. Ankor Wat was amazing - yet huge, hot and with lots of heavy walking.

The King and I Soundtrack is playing in the background. Thai people are the most amazing people. So pretty, So calm, So happy, Yet can turn on a dime, 5 Cent or 5 Baht coin in 3 seconds! Yesterday was The Thai New Year. I tell you when Thai's Drink - THEY DRINK!!!! Songkran, the traditional Thai New Year celebrations, take place during April. Across the country, it is a time for family reunion that all members entertain and make merit together. And of course for splashing water--lots of it, to cool down and have fun! (it is the hottest time of the year) This traditional Thai custom of merry-making is the Kingdom's most fun-filled festival, celebrated with tremendous enthusiasm, nation-wide, once a year. ( with a sh__t load of water) In most part of the country, Songkran extends over a period of 3 days. Songkran was known for its characteristic tradition of water-throwing ranging from a courteous sprinkle or a polite splash, to harmless water pistols and showers from garden hoses to the well-aimed bucket or water-cannon delivered in a festive spirit. Without a doubt, on the practical side, it is a refreshing solution to "beating the heat" in the hottest season of the year. However, there is a much deeper significance to "Songkran" Apart form marking a new beginning, Songkran is also a time for thanksgiving. It is an important time for individuals to reflect upon the many acts of kindness and thoughtfulness each has personally experienced and to remember how such acts of generosity and compassion bring peace, happiness and well-being. Songkran is also the time for reunions and family ties are renewed.

It has been one Year now since I have been in Koh Samui, it has been 6 weeks since I have been in cuffs and in a Thai Jail. Thou I have been in business on this island for one year, and I am still here. All my Cats are with me, they love me, regardless of what has happened to me. All my staff too try very hard. I loved today when one guest complained in jest that my maid "does and amazing and wonderful and far too thorough job" I said "Well she has been taught by the master!" Thou he said, " I have been here for 3 weeks, and every time I leave the room - and then return - it is as thou I checked into a new room! I move the clock - i rearrange the bedside table - and yet, it is all the way it is meant to be "in your eyes" - alas a good point. Time to try harder!

I am often quite Mad!, Some Call it Crazy, Some call it Insane, I think really i am just plain silly or different! Not Mad in the angry sense, or even Crazy. Just silly I guess. Who will know. I try hard. (Yet with the correct injection of Vodka in multiple sessions i can get Angry ) I think we all try hard even when we think we dont even know when we try hard. Dont we all try hard to get out of bed, out of the shower early, rushing to catch the bus, car, train, subway in time so we dont get in trouble from the boss, a client, customer or other staff. We all we have a job to do.

"A" , "MM" , "HUM" , "AUM" , "MAXXY" How many (first) or (Christian) names do you have? Well yes I have 2 surnames "Condon" and my own chosen "Schwan" Yet i know i lived in western world, and changed my surname legally, It always sounded good, there was never any one called 'Timothy Schwan" in the white pages. Yet in Thailand so many people have so many names, or nick names i do not even think I can keep up. I will, could, may have, and should fall in love with a wonderful 23 year old, amazing, honest wonderful "AUM" = yet also known as "A" , "MM" , "HUM" - but love is rare, and I think he is rare. Time will tell. E-mails will follow. Hearts I hope will not be broken.

This month sees occupancy falling, I am not sure why, I can guess that it is the travel warnings form England, Australia, and Europe, as Thailand does not have a stable government. Time to discount and get the rooms full. We do do a great job and the rooms are amazing when you get some one in them. That is the trick, to get someone in them.

A short email this time, as many complain that the others are far too long.

Love
Tim
xo

No comments: