Saturday, December 22, 2001

Minus 6 and Snowing!

Well cologne was mmmmmmm a touch boring. Most of the inner city of Cologne
or KOLN - was destroyed during world war II, but the Magnificent Gothic Dom
(cathedral) survived no fewer that 14 bombings and it is really the own main
attraction. It boasts the worlds largest church facade. Mind you I tell you
it needs a bloody good clean! other than that there is House #4711 that has
a fountain out the front that dispenses famous scented water (that is
apparently drinkable) and this house was on Eau de Cologne! that is where
the famous perfume name came from! the scented fountain out the front......
But it is now labelled House #4711 due to a Napoleonic system that abolished
street names!!!! .......... Last night was my first bad hotel experience!!!
I stayed at a very nice Renaissance Hotel 5 star! Great rooms! nice and
cosy! Cheap $85US a nite! But bloody hell, the management decided to bar all
access to free calls or 1800 numbers! and as the internet service around the
world uses a german free call I could not connect! Added to this was the
tour guide brochure people contact number was a 1800 free call, and on top,
the telephone card I use to call home (much cheaper) was a 1800 free call as
well! so bam!!! 3 differing ways I could not use it! well we all know what
that would have done to me!!!!!! I WENT CRAZY!!!! reception then to
supervisor then to front office manager, then to duty hotel manager, then
str8t to the top the GM! I was on a mission! How stupid! Why would you
program your PABX not to dial a free call number!!! They all said that it
was the PABX!!!! gezzzzzzz! idiots! so I marched to meet with the GM!!! (I
was so angry) he said that they had charging difficulties as some free calls
in germany are not free calls and charge and they cant charge on to the
guest....... I sat I listened......... I then told him what I thought and
how rediculous....... And then got to the crunch in explaining that there
was a way around in programming the bloody PABX. (this is a F____K__G 5 star
hotel remember) so he got the IT person!!! I felt like I was at work -
wanted to send them a invoice for my time!!!! but explained to all 4 people
(by this time I was at the bar - at a small table - needed a southern - GM
paid !! thank god) Then it all made sence to the IT guy and GM!!! they
understood? How silly! they have had the Free call barring for 6 mths! GM
told me they had a million complaints! but he could not see a way around it!
- any way LOL they had AT&T in programming from what I could see when I left
at 10am this morning!!! (it all sounds like it took me hours - actually was
only about 1 hour - and I got a drink or 2) and yes! I got net access, and
my calling card - they connected me from the GM fone (only one that can make
these calls) LOL well I did good here!! im off again on a train to Berlin!
Snow every where and minus 6 - I wonder how I will go sight seeing in this
weather! mmmmmmm interesting! I love the trains! Just show up with the
eurorail pass to any train going any where hope on and done!!! its great! I
tell you this is the most amazing train! TVs in the back of the seats and
all! very classy! take care and have a safe xmas.... Tim xox

No comments: